Welcome to Kevin's Music Blog

Hello, and welcome to my music blog. Here I am going to put in my two cents on different albums. I am a selective listener by nature, so I am going to do my best to be open minded about different styles and groups, even ones I don't normally listen to. I also accept requests for artists or albums to be reviewed on my special requests blog. If you disagree with my critiques feel free to say so in a calm constructive manner. Also, I hope my views do not offend you.

Note: Any comments out right insulting an artist or comments involving any form of bigotry will be deleted.

Have a nice day and enjoy your favorite artists. Please subscribe.

Kevin Card is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com

Monday, October 31, 2011

Red Hot Chili Peppers- I'm With You Review

(Update)- I have added the official music video for "Monarchy of Roses"

Hello everyone, I have moved my operations back to Blogger because it is messy to have a lot of unused sites across the web that I don't have time for. Anyways, all of my critiques, requests, and blogs are now on this blog. I will also be following my schedule for the Salem State Log on the paper. Anyways, here my review for RHCP's new album:

Five years after the Red Hot Chili Peppers released “Stadium Arcadium” and two years after guitarist John Frusciante left RHCP many fans have wondered: could the band survive without Frusciante? The answer is a resounding yes. To those on Youtube who say he is "no good," Josh Klinghoffer is skilled as a rhythm guitarist who is also proficient with piano and clear high ranged backing vocals. Klinghoffer brings something new to the group that Frusciante did not.

“I’m With You” is a versatile album meant as a tribute to Autobiographer and long time friend Brendan Mullen. The album starts off very funky being reminiscent of the best disco standards of the 70s slowly becoming darker revolving around having happiness, loosing it, and then getting happy again with light hearted dance songs.

The songs that are the most memorable include “Factory of Faith” for the catchy dirty funk bass line from Flea and the repeating but enjoyable beat set by drummer Chad Smith making the song very dance worthy. “Annie Wants a Baby” is a memorable funk rock song as the bass is steady and Smith emerges as the champion on this track with very energetic drumming through out the song. “Look Around” sounds like a more modern take on the tracks from the 1991 album “Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic” with classic RHCP slap bass and rock guitar riffs playing and determined vocals from singer Anthony Kiedis proving that though the band members are all nearing 50 they’ve still got it!

The blander tracks are “Rain Dance Maggie” and “Ethiopia” because they both sound repetitive and are lacking the punch and excitement of the other songs on the album. The remainder of the songs proves that Kiedis still has a healthy high range and sincere voice. Klinghoffer brings in a unique sound. While Smith and Flea prove themselves the driving force behind the group on all of the songs with their complex and noticeable playing.

“I’m With You” proves to be an interesting part of RHCPs long history where some songs act as throwbacks to their past eras while others represent a completely new direction of either lively funk music or distinctive piano ballads such as “Police Station” which proves that the Red Hot Chili Peppers have the ability to create fresh sounds and remain relevant no matter what year they release music in. *****

Raindance Maggie Official Music Video:



Monarchy of Roses Official Music Video:

1 comment: