Welcome to Kevin's Music Blog

Hello, and welcome to my music blog. Here I am going to put in my two cents on different albums. I am a selective listener by nature, so I am going to do my best to be open minded about different styles and groups, even ones I don't normally listen to. I also accept requests for artists or albums to be reviewed on my special requests blog. If you disagree with my critiques feel free to say so in a calm constructive manner. Also, I hope my views do not offend you.

Note: Any comments out right insulting an artist or comments involving any form of bigotry will be deleted.

Have a nice day and enjoy your favorite artists. Please subscribe.

Kevin Card is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com

Monday, October 31, 2011

Novelty Hit Song Show Down- "Friday" by Rebecca Black

I know it's been a long time, but who am I to turn down a request to review something? Everyone knows the back story at this point so I am just going to say that Friday was released in March, 2011 by the young previously unknown Rebecca Black, who released two songs on Youtube. The video of "Friday" went viral and since then has now had 15 million views. The young Black cites one of her influences as Justin Bieber. Anyways, let's break down the song and see how these covers look in comparison.

Friday by Rebecca Black:

Say what you will, Friday has been removed from Youtube because of a lawsuit by Rebecca Black. Not that we will miss it though.

I both like and hate this song. I like it because in all reality it is my Generation's Disco Duck, a novelty song that is poorly written and is pretty much a stereotypical representation of a genre of music. The real reason why people hate this song is not just because of the heavy amounts of auto tune, it is the odd way that Black sings. She is singing from her cheeks, her throat, and her nose while being partially out of tune with really weird harmonizing. In terms of proper singing technique that is a huge no no as it creates a very annoying and odd vocal tone. Now that's not to say that Black is a horrible singer, I heard her sing the American National Anthem on her ABC News interview and she actually sounded half decent despite being a bit fluttery and out of tune. If she had waited a few more years and took voice lessons she probably wouldn't have as many people hating on her as she does now. Unfortunately, Black's career is doomed because this song will follow Black to her grave thanks to the internet. Musically this song is awful because it is the same three chords that was used in the Keyboard Cat video with a very muddy bass and drum machine cluttering the mix. If you don't believe me on the Keyboard Cat theory you can find it here.

Also, the rapper seems very out of place and the rhymes are nothing memorable. I will say he is the best singer in the video though.

Overall I give this two stars because it is amusing and can be used to teach (naughty) kids about days of the weekend.

Rating: **

Friday Cover by Glee:



I will say that this the only Glee cover that sounds better than the original to me. I like the fact that they sped up the pace fixing how badly the song dragged and it is also nice that the mix is much less cluttered and clear sounding. That being said, it has still been butchered as the the singers are taking themselves too seriously for such a ridiculous song. Also, the music overall sounds like something I would have heard back in 2007 with how it is played displacing the date of which is certainly a 2011 style song. Plus they changed the part with the rapper, and this rapper is worse than the original.

Overall, better than the original but not by much as it is still cheezy without any of the humor.

Rating: ***

Death Metal Friday Cover:



This version starts off as the original but immediately turns into modern death metal. I love this version because it brings up the comedy up exponentially because of how brutal and serious the band turns the song, but at the same time you can tell the band is laughing their arses off. The music is also drastically improved as it sounds like a real brutal metal song and not a mess of drum beats and synth bass. Normally I hate this kind of singing, but the fact that it makes me think of the guy from Gorgoroth and Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget are doing a metal duet it just make this cover utterly perfect in my eyes.

Overall, my inner metal head is very pleased at the proper slaying of a bad pop music song.

Rating: *****

Stephen Colbert Friday Cover:



I love Stephen Colbert a lot, and I like what I've heard from The Roots so I am not surprised this cover sounds so good and is easy to listen too. Colbert's baritone voice is great here as he is on pitch and can be heard perfectly clear. Colbert also nailed the spirit of parodying perfectly, which is more than I can say for most of the parodies of Friday out there on Youtube. Tariq Trotter really takes the cake for rapping the best of any of the rappers I've heard so far, but this is not surprising considering his reputation. The band also makes the best sounding and most complex version of the song that I have heard to date. Jimmy Fallon is also hilarious for his part of the days of the week. Fallon and Colbert sound great auto tuned as well. The addition of Taylor Hicks and the Big City Dancers help to make this song properly over the top. My only two complaints are how many times they repeat the chorus and how much research I had to do for this cover. lol

Overall, hilarious, enjoyable, and very easy to listen too. Just a bit too repetitive.

Rating: ****

So there you have it, the Death Metal version wins but Stephen Colbert's is the most likable for the average person in second place. The Glee version will fade into obscurity when the show finishes, and the original will be my generation's Disco Duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment